- I address you today on the unfortunate death of Mr. Tiamiyu Kazeem, a rising star of Remo Stars FC, on Saturday, 22 February, 2020. This is a painful loss and an avoidable death in a circumstance that made it even more painful. And I commiserate with the family, friends and associates.
- Whilst investigation is still on-going, I have since engaged the top hierarchy of the Police. The IGP has since deployed DIG (South West) to visit Sagamu and DIG (Force CIID) to take over the investigation. I have expressed the strong commitment of Ogun State government to ensuring that justice is done. IGP has promised that the police officers allegedly implicated in the unfortunate death will be thoroughly and dispassionately investigated and brought to book.Indeed, the two officers – the leader of the team (an Assistant Superintendent of Police )and the other officer (an Inspector of Police) – have since been arrested and detained.
- We have been monitoring the events since weekend and more particularly since morning. Indeed, I have just received the most recent briefings from the security chiefs and thought I should share some parts of the update with the general publi
- In the meantime, I had issued a public statement condemning the incident and calling on the youth to be calm and not take laws in to their own hands.
- Early this morning, the SSG led the delegation of the State to address the youth alongside Kabiyesi, Akarigbo, in the palace and further sued for peace. The youth agreed to embrace the entreaties of the government and those of Kabiyesi.
- However, contrary to the promise of restraint given by the youth, a while after the peace meeting, some youth defied the calls for restraint and decided to take the advantage of the situation by embarking on activities that further aggravated the already tense situation. They attempted to attack the Divisional Police Station, burn the police Armoured PersonnelCarrier (APC), and even loot the banks and local government headquarters. Regrettably, we understand that some fatalities were recordedthereby, which is also being investigated.
- Security has been further beefed up, including the involvement of the Nigerian Army and other law enforcement agencies. Indeed, I have also briefed the Presidency on this incident and received assurances that the security agencies have been directed to do all that is required to fully restore normalcy, within the ambit of law.
- Let me assure all the good citizens of Ogun State and residents of Sagamu that they should go about their lawful business without any fear of molestation whatsoever. I wish to sound a note of warning that anyone that attempts to capitalise on the unfortunate incident to foment any trouble or engage in activity that is in breach of public peace and order will be subjected to full force of law. Parents and guardians should caution their children and wards to refrain from confrontation with law enforcement agents whilst carrying out their responsibilities of maintain law and order. As a Governor and a parent, the loss of Tiamiyu Kazeem is saddening enough and everything should be done to avoid any further loss or injury
- Once again, I enjoin all to be law abiding, go about their legitimate businesses. I wish to reiterate the commitment of this Administration that anyone found culpable in the death of Tiamiyu Kazeem will face the full wrath of the law. This is a commitment shared by the top hierarchy of the police and at the highest level of governance in the country, the Presidency. And the general public will be briefed from time to time.
I pray for the repose of the soul of the deceased. May God grant the family the fortitude to bear the irreplaceable loss.
God bless you all.